Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Spinach Egg Stew, Roasted Plantain & Sweet Potatoes, Sauteed Cabbage

>Spinach, Tomato & Onion Egg Scramble
>Roasted Plantain
>Roasted Sweet Potato
>Sauteed Cabbage

This is my ALL-Time favorite meal as a child (and probably still, because I haven't figured out what else I like more). The only problem with this meal to me, is that I love it so much I eat way too much of it.
Actually this is an adaptation of my favorite meal.
The original version is Fried plantains, Fried 'Irish' potatoes, Fresh Tomato & Onion Egg Stew.
I have made this healthier (and easier to prepare) by roasting instead of frying, a taste which I have come to love so much more than deep-fried, so it's all good! I have also added loads of spinach to the Tomato, Onion and Egg goodness, which helps pack so much more nutrients and flavor to an already amazing meal.
Fast, Easy, Healthy, Cheap AND Tasty. Geez, can I really have it all?
To prepare:
  • Peel Plantains, place in ungreased baking pan, and throw into 450-500 degree oven.
  • Put in Sweet Potatoes whole and unpeeled (you can peel after it's cooked, or even eat with skin if you like).
  • Sautee Cabbage with a dash of olive oil, black, pepper, and salt
  • Throw some vegetable oil in a pan to heat up, caramelize onions, throw in diced tomatoes, let cook until a lot of the water is absorbed, season with salt and your favorite spices and herbs (I used curry powder, thyme and black pepper), whip eggs and pour into mixture, stirring as it cooks, add chopped spinach soon after, once eggs are cooked, it's ready!
Notes:
You can find plantains at some regular grocery stores, or look in Latin Food or African food stores (that's where I get them)

Make it vegan, by using Scrambled Tofu instead of eggs.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post meal ideas, recipes, questions & requests!