Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I hella *heart* My African Market

Sometimes I forget  that I can diversify my palate by eating foods from 'HOME' like home home. Traditional foods. I can make versions that are more typical or my adapted fusion versions. While I was pregnant and visiting in Nigeria, I got reminded of what I was missing and how yummy my home dishes can be. It became an obsession of sorts. Thankfully, I was lucky to have my mother around for a good amount of time while I was pregnant to indulge me in my requests for moi moi, okro soup, akamu and more. When she left we slowly chipped away at the freezer full of food she cooked and stored for us. And in the meantime hope to make it to the African food store about once a month to supplement our produce. (Luckily it's close to my favorite farmer's market).

Some of the foods are not the freshest, and as you can see there are a few guilty indulgences of processed & high-sugar foods, but for the most part it's good stuff that sticks to your belly when cooked right!

For $37 and some change, here's what we bought:

Yellow Garri
Ijebu Garri
Cous Cous
Coco Yam (Taro)
Ghana Yam
Plantain
Habanero Peppers
Okro (Okra)
Chin Chin
Schweppes Bitter Lemon drink
Chin Chin
Meatpies
Tomato Paste
Sardines


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post meal ideas, recipes, questions & requests!